Этот рецепт на русском языке можно найти Здесь
This salad is very famous in Russia and being consumed at almost every celebration dinner, but especially New Year’s celebration – Russian people just can’t imagine celebrating it without this salad.
In India I have seen “Russian salad” in some restaurants and the recipes of it on YouTube channels of some Indian video-bloggers. And…that recipe is just very different from the one in Russia (moreover, there is no salad like this with pineapples in Russia at all). The real recipe of the most famous Russian salad is not easy to cook in India because it has many ingredients which are not available here and in Asia in general (mostly they can be available in some Russian shops, which also almost don’t exist in India or sell just a very few things unlike Russian shops in some countries with big amount of Russian immigrants).
More than that, the classic recipe of this salad is non-vegetarian, it normally contains ham/ chicken and eggs. But, I am a vegetarian person. There is a vegetarian version of this salad too even though it also makes it very different from the classic Russian salad (but not as different as Indian version of it). In this article, apart from vegetarian version of “Olivye” Russian salad recipe, I will also mention how to prepare some unavailable ingredients yourself being in India (or other Asian country).
- 3 potatoes – boiled;
- 1 carrot – boiled;
- Marinated peas* – 1/2 of the jar;
- Pickled cucumbers* – 180 g;
- Paneer* – 150 g;
- Vegetarian mayonnaise – the amount the taste;
- Salt – 1/4 tsp;
- Black pepper – 1/8 tsp;
- Fresh greenery – chopped – optional;
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
*Marinated peas jars are famous in Russia but hard to find in Asia. Instead you can just boil fresh or frozen peas with salt and sugar, and later add 1tbsp of vinegar to it, leaving it for a few hours to marinate;
*Pickled cucumbers can be easier found in Asia than marinated peas, but still not very easy. Proper pickled cucumbers are possible to make in Asia yourself but it requires not one day. If you don’t have time, you can just cut cucumbers in small cubes, add salt and a 2 tbsp of vinegar to it and leave it for a few hours;
*In India you can use paneer for this recipe as in Russia almost the same cottage cheese is being used for it. However, such cheese is not equally easily available in every Asian country. Especially it would be hard to find it in China. So, if you are there, you can try using normal cheese instead, or just make this salad without cheese at all – non-vegetarian classic recipe of this salad doesn’t have cottage cheese normally, it is used in vegetarian version to replace non-veg products only.
- Peel potatoes and carrots;
- Cut potatoes, carrots and paneer in small cubes of the same size;
- Fry paneer for 2 minutes with oil;
- If you have found pickled cucumbers in some shop, cut them in the cubes of the same size as other ingredients. If you marinate cucumbers yourself, it’s better you cut them in cubes before marinating, because like this they will get marinated faster and more properly in a short time;
- Add fresh greenery (if you add it at all);
- Add salt and black pepper;
- Add mayonnaise to all the ingredients and mix the salad very well. Your vegetarian Russian salad is ready!
Also check these Russian vegetarian recipes: