There are 2 basic types of posing in Modeling: Commercial posing and High-fashion posing and each of them includes different types as well.
In India, commercial posing is more used in advertisements than high-fashion posing, while in some countries it’s opposite – that way countries in modeling world are even being differentiated for commercial and high-fashion markets. Most of the Asian modeling markets belong to commercial type, though it doesn’t mean it will be only commercial type of shootings in these countries.
Also check: Ramp-walk basics
Commercial posing is usually required for catalogues and e-commerce, while high-fashion posing is required for magazines and often is used for campaigns as well (if you didn’t read about the types of modeling work, please Click Here). But everything depends on what client wants – you can be asked to do high-fashion posing for a print catalogue and commercial posing for a magazine, suppose (though it’s not that common).
The type of model’s face and figure can decide, as well, what kind of posing she/he will be more appropriate to: models with cute and sexy faces and figures are more suitable for commercial posing (and height requirements are not that strict for them), while models with strong or unusual interesting faces and skinny figures for females (and preferably very tall) are more suitable for high-fashion posing. That’s why often models from Europe with commercial faces go to work to Asian modeling markets and some models from Asia are more suitable for European markets. But…being a professional model, you need to know both types of posing anyways!
Commercial posing is oriented for display of garments in the best manner while high-fashion posing is more about the moods. High-fashion posing is quite different and specific but you can usually be very creative in it. Commercial posing has restrictions most of the times.
Click Here to learn Commercial posing
Click Here to learn specifics of e-commerce posing
Click Here to learn High fashion posing
Click Here to learn posing with the objects
Click Here to learn couple and group posing
How to learn posing well?
- Train yourself in front of the mirror;
- Practice different type of expressions, not just the poses;
- Find your good angles and the type of smile that suit you;
- Ask your portfolio photographer to show you the whole shoot to understand and learn your good and bad angles more properly (but better do not ask unedited pictures for the reason to post it – some pictures might seem good to you just because you are unprofessional yet – trust the photographer’s selection, he/she knows what is better for your career);
- Listen to professional fashion industry people advises;
- Imagine yourself in different roles to get into the shoot moods;
- Practice the speed of changing the poses – you have to learn to do it fast – you have to change the pose basically every click, so learn accordingly;
- Be confident, don’t compare yourself to other models and don’t get upset if you are not selected on castings;
- Take modeling seriously, as a job not some fun thing to receive pictures for yourself just. Understand that people expect good result from your posing. You can’t achieve it expecting others to tell you what to do – people of course can and will tell it to you sometimes but you can’t expect them to tell you everything and always – posing is the only job that expected from you! Sometimes only that realization helps models to start being actually professional!
Too see the complete info on modeling in India, please Click Here
Pictures source: www.pinterest.com