Many fresher models don’t know what polaroids are and how to click them. But they can be asked to send it not just by clients but even by modeling agencies they want to start working with. And not even every agency bothers to explain to the future models about how they can make it. So I want to help you with it.
Polaroids aren’t supposed to be professionally clicked pictures. They are simple, straight, shot from different angle pictures, plus 2 videos: catwalk and introduction. Polaroids can be clicked by anybody: your friend or relative, even on phone. But why do you need them to work as a model?
Polaroids are supposed to show how model looks in real life, without make-up (normally, but many people do put basic make-up, though it is a little bit cheating), without Photoshop (and it is better be, because the clients will get to know if it was edited if you can to the job much fatter than there, suppose). The reason to ask polaroids for client is usually their no ability to call you for casting, yet the client wants to see how you look in real life. India as modeling market much more often has direct bookings (bookings by pictures, without the casting) comparing to many other markets. Not everybody here asks models to send the polaroids as well but yet, it can happen, so you better be prepared. For fashion shows people often ask catwalk video. And introduction videos are usually used for getting video-jobs or contract abroad.
Polaroids are mandatory (!) for International models bookings – all the international models have to send them after the international modeling agency got interested in them by seeing their portfolios. And polaroids do decide if the model will get the contract or not in the end, so don’t underestimate their importance. It is not possible to get the contract abroad without polaroids.
Polaroids do include:
- Full body pictures: front, both sides, back, both 45-degrees pictures, a few posing pictures can be added as well;
- Medium shots are not necessary but can be added also, in the same poses;
- Portraits: front, sides, back, 45-degrees angle, with open hair and pony tale, with the smile and without;
- If you have any tattoos or big scars on your body – the pictures where it can be visible must be added;
- Walking (catwalk, ramp-walk) video;
- Introduction video.
What to wear to shoot polaroids?
- Polaroids in India are usually shot in tank top/ spaghetti top and leggings/shorts for girls (it can be also jeans but shorts or leggings are better) and t-shirt and jeans for guys. Neutral colors are preferred, especially black. The most important is not to wear loose clothes for polaroid shoot but something that shows your figure very well.
- Female models also supposed to wear high heels. Better do not wear small heels for polaroid shoot;
- No accessories have to be worn for polaroid shoots. Make up supposed to be very basic, almost invisible (especially for polaroids for international contracts – do make it NOT VISIBLE, just hide pimples and dark circles);
- If you want to work for bikini/ lingerie shoots, or if you want to get international contract, you as well will be required to make polaroids in bikini.
Other tips for polaroid shoot:
- It has to be done in natural lighting. Studio is not necessary, it can be clicked anywhere outside or inside. However, you need to take care that it should not be too dark or too bright lighting – your skin color on these photos supposed to look the way it is;
- Choose preferably plain white wall as a background to shoot polaroids, if possible. The decorative backgrounds will distract the viewer;
- The person who is clicking your polaroids should keep the camera such way that your figure will look the way it is. It is actually very important: if person clicks you from the top angle, you will look shorter on pictures (and this is not something you need as a model for sure). But also do not let the person to sit and click your polaroids from the bottom angle (like people do when they want the legs to look longer on the pictures) – it will make your legs to look much more fat as well and your top body will look not proportionally small. Both cases will not make you win when you need to get the job the way you are, you will just look deformed. Normal natural pictures are the only good option for polaroids. Also, of course, the camera on the phone should have normal quality, do not send blurred pictures.
- For introduction video you need to say a few words about yourself: your name, age, height, you can say measurements also and your hobbies if you want, can turn around to show your profiles but it is not nesessary (but people often take such videos on video-jobs castings);
- For catwalk video you need a little bit of space because very short walk doesn’t look good, since it will make you to walk slow. The walk shouldn’t be too slow and too fast, you need to walk front and come back, don’t forget to turn like on the ramp 🙂 You can use some music for your video if you wish, it can make it easier for you;
- And the last thing is: polaroids are not the one time thing to click in your career. They supposed to be fresh, recent (you need to click them every few months, maximum once in a year). You can be asked some kind of different polaroid pictures or videos by client for some job additionally as well, according to specifics of job. As I have mentioned, it can be clicked on castings also. If you have an agency, they will be the ones who supposed to click most of your polaroids, however, they still can ask you to click urgent ones (for some certain bookings) at home, but if you are free lancer – then you need to click them yourself always.
P.S.: Do NOT make collages like on examples for your polaroids. Every picture should be separate. Collages are used here by me for different kind of examples only.
Too see the complete info on modeling in India, please Click Here.
Pictures source: www.pinterest.com